Home Help Photos Login Register

MEXICO AND CARIBBEAN

IBEROSTAR HOTELS AND RESORTS

UNOFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD

IBEROSTAR HOTELS & RESORTS UNOFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD | IBEROSTAR REVIEWS & PHOTOS  |  IBEROSTAR VARADERO - VARADERO, CUBA  |  (Leave or Read)A Review of Iberostar Varadero  |  Topic: We'll be back 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: We'll be back  (Read 1756 times)
George
Best Prices on Iberostar Vacation Packages!
Administrator
IBEROSTAR-EXPERT

BeatYourOffer.com - 866-389-8572

« on: May 10, 2007, 08:45:33 PM »

We stayed at the Iberostar Varadero from March 12-19. I had read many reviews before the trip and had high expectations of this resort. We had travelled to Cuba previously, as well as to Cancun and the Mayan Riviera, and found this resort to be comparable to the others, but not superior to them.

We were in Building 17. The view was beautiful, and the room spacious. I was happy to find a coffee maker in the room, which I was not expecting. The maid was meticulous and left towel/bedding “sculptures” as well as a short note daily. My only ‘complaint’ about the room was the noise. It was easy to hear doors slamming, toilets flushing, and even people talking and walking overhead. I would suggest you try to get a room on the top floor of any of the buildings. Sleeping was a struggle due to the noise.

The grounds are beautiful, and more lush than many of the pictures you find online (it has been open a few years now). The layout of the resort is quite good, with everything close at hand and easy to find.
The animation team members (Star Friends) are lively and friendly, and quite talented. The evening shows were worth watching. My son enjoyed the kids club and evening mini-disco.

Service on the beach, pool side, and at the bars was good. We did tip, but it made no difference in the quality of service we received – we tipped because the staff work very hard and deserve a tip! The buffet restaurant selection was plentiful – you could always find something good that you liked and the service was great. We tried all 3 a la cartes, our favourite being the Japanese. The food was fresh and hot, and the show-cooking was a lot of fun for all. Our least favourite was probably the Cuban restaurant, where the menu selection is limited. Not finding any lobster at any of the restaurants or buffet, we elected to purchase whole lobsters for $30 CUC each. These were cooked and served at the Mediterranean restaurant. They were terribly overcooked (grilled), chewy and not worth $30. The rest of the food was good, however, with the appetizers served ‘buffet-style’ so choosing an appetizer was easy.

The beach was beautiful with plenty of chairs available, even with the resort full to capacity. It was difficult many days to find lounge chairs at poolside, as we don’t play the “towel game” where people reserve their seats at the pool and beach long before they plan to use them… grrr…. (Note: The information package you receive upon check-in states that the ‘reserving’ of loungers is not encouraged and management has the right to remove your items from the chairs if left unattended. They did not do this, but maybe they should). There were often vendors on the beach and at poolside, but were at no time assertive or pushy and the merchandise was beautifully crafted.

In summary, this is a beautiful resort and the staff did a fantastic job keeping up with a large number of guests. I do not regret going to this resort, but would not likely return. We like the charm of the Holguin area of Cuba over the more commercialized feel of the Varadero area – and there are a lot of other great resorts to visit.
Borrowed post from another board - "BP"
Sunjet Holidays  

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
IBEROSTAR HOTELS & RESORTS UNOFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD | IBEROSTAR REVIEWS & PHOTOS  |  IBEROSTAR VARADERO - VARADERO, CUBA  |  (Leave or Read)A Review of Iberostar Varadero  |  Topic: We'll be back « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Google

Web www.Ib-Board.com