Home Help Photos Login Register

MEXICO AND CARIBBEAN

IBEROSTAR HOTELS AND RESORTS

UNOFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD

IBEROSTAR HOTELS & RESORTS UNOFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD | IBEROSTAR REVIEWS & PHOTOS  |  IBEROSTAR LAGUNA AZUL - VARADERO, CUBA  |  (Leave or Read)A Review of Iberostar Laguna Azul  |  Topic: My review of Laguna Azul (Dec 20-27, 2010) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My review of Laguna Azul (Dec 20-27, 2010)  (Read 18491 times)
blush

« on: December 31, 2010, 12:50:42 AM »

Just posted this on TripAdvisor.  We had a great time in Cuba; met lots of other Canadians and lots of Brits!

My husband and I stayed at this resort from December 20-27, 2010. We were a little wary due to some of the reviews we had read but needn't have worried. We had a great stay at Laguna Azul. We have been to Iberostar hotels 4 times in the past (twice to Paraiso Lindo, Mexico, once to Rose Hall Beach, Jamaica, and once to Bavaro, Dominican Republic) so we were concerned that the experience in Cuba would not live up to our expectations, but we'd happily return to Laguna Azul.

Upon arrival (11:30 pm) we were checked in quickly and taken to our room in a golf cart by a nice staff member. He showed us all the features of the room. We were in building 20, nearest the beach. This is a separate building away from the main ones, which we were happy about. Our requested king sized bed was there and everything worked as it should. We also had a nice view, as we discovered in the morning. After we put our bags down we went in search of food and ended up at the snack bar by the beach, where we had freshly made pizza and french fries. This snack bar became a regular nightly routine.

Food:
We were impressed by the food. Everything was fresh and tasty. Items on the buffet that were supposed to be cold were cold; hot items were hot. I think I ate my weight in vegetables prepared every which way. Desserts were fantastic. We went to the Japanese, Romantico and Italian. We'd heard the portions of pasta were not huge at the Italian so I had Ossobucco and it was enough for two (very delicious); my husband had the swordfish and enjoyed it as well. The Christmas Eve Gala Dinner was every bit as good as the one we experienced last year in Jamaica.

Drinks:
We loved the lobby bar, and especially the night bartender, Addiel. He chatted with everyone and was very entertaining. Drinks were made well, and there was no skimping on alcohol from anyone who made our drinks, anywhere. We also drank a lot of cafe con leche; fantastic.

Beach/pool/general ambiance:
The beach is gorgeous, and huge. There are lots of chairs and palapas. The beach chairs are not mesh like at other Iberostars though, and there are no chair pads on the beach. The pool chairs have pads, though a staff member has to retrieve one for you. There are a few large pools in the centre of the resort, but also two quieter pools on either side. We stayed at the quiet pools away from the activities and music. Each of the pools has a snack bar open from 10-4 as well. As there had been a cold spell the week before, we found the water in the pools and in the ocean to be cool, but that shouldn't be the norm. There was no lack of shade or sun in any area.

Staff/Entertainment:
All the staff members we dealt with were pleasant, and some were extra nice and friendly. We actually didn't see as many Star Friends as we've seen at other resorts. We only attended part of one show while we waited for the disco to open. The disco was great; they actually played current music and as it was right near the theatre, a lot of people came in to dance after the show ended.

Gym:
The gym was great (open 7am-7pm) and overlooked the main pool area. There were free weights, a cable station, 2 stairmasters, 3 treadmills, 5 bikes and mats for yoga. You could take your mat outside to a balcony if you felt like stretching outside.

We would be very happy to come back to this resort again!
Sunjet Holidays  

IB* Lindo - Sept 2008 - Engaged
IB* Lindo - Sept 2009 - Married
IB* Rose Hall Beach - Dec 2009 - Honeymoon
IB* Bavaro - Oct 2010
IB* Laguna Azul - Dec 2010
El Dorado Royale, Mar 2011
Mona

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 11:24:30 AM »

Wonderful review.  My husband and I are going there on Jan 17/11.  Can't wait!

I was wondering, do they have ketchup?  Some people have said to bring your own if you like ketchup on your fries and burgers.

Sunjet Holidays  
blush

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 07:42:59 PM »

They do have ketchup but sometimes you have to ask for it; it's not always easily accessible.  At the main buffet it was usually with the salad dressings at the end of one of the food stations.  At the snack bar at the beach they do have smaller squeeze bottles as well as mustard.  Also note that they do not have peanut butter or nutella.  I did not find this a problem at all, as the butter is from Switzerland and I could have eaten it by the patful.
Sunjet Holidays  

IB* Lindo - Sept 2008 - Engaged
IB* Lindo - Sept 2009 - Married
IB* Rose Hall Beach - Dec 2009 - Honeymoon
IB* Bavaro - Oct 2010
IB* Laguna Azul - Dec 2010
El Dorado Royale, Mar 2011
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
IBEROSTAR HOTELS & RESORTS UNOFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD | IBEROSTAR REVIEWS & PHOTOS  |  IBEROSTAR LAGUNA AZUL - VARADERO, CUBA  |  (Leave or Read)A Review of Iberostar Laguna Azul  |  Topic: My review of Laguna Azul (Dec 20-27, 2010) « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Google

Web www.Ib-Board.com