Home Help Photos Login Register

MEXICO AND CARIBBEAN

IBEROSTAR HOTELS AND RESORTS

UNOFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD

IBEROSTAR HOTELS & RESORTS UNOFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD | IBEROSTAR REVIEWS & PHOTOS  |  IBEROSTAR QUETZAL & TUCAN - RIVIERA MAYA, MEXICO  |  (LEAVE OR READ) A REVIEW OF IBEROSTAR QUETZAL OR TUCAN (Moderator: MikeOKC)  |  Topic: fantastic staff, gorgeous grounds, & beautiful beach 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: fantastic staff, gorgeous grounds, & beautiful beach  (Read 1088 times)
George
Best Prices on Iberostar Vacation Packages!
Administrator
IBEROSTAR-EXPERT

BeatYourOffer.com - 866-389-8572

« on: May 08, 2012, 05:28:40 AM »

BP - Borrowed post from another board

If you're looking for a relaxing beach vacation where you don't have to think about when or where you're going to get your meals or drinks, look no further than this resort. Quieter than any hotel in Cancun (no spring breakers, mostly a European crowd) with a BEAUTIFUL beach with crystal waters and a great nighttime view of Cozumel.

My fiance and I stayed on the Tucan side of the Playa del Carmen Iberostar and had a relaxing, gorgeous vacation from April 20-26, 2012. Last year (around the same time) we stayed on the Quetzal side and had a similarly great experience, but found the beds a little hard. When we returned this year - voila! - the beds were SIGNIFICANTLY more comfortable. Our guess is that Iberostar reads reviews on sites like this and makes changes accordingly, which I think is a great indication of the kind of treatment you'll receive at this resort.

STAFF
Fantastic, wonderful, accommodating, friendly, and warm - what more could you ask for? Everyone from the front desk to the groundskeepers to the "Star Friends" to the bartenders to the cleaning staff greeted us with smiles on a daily basis and were above and beyond helpful with any requests, questions, and concerns (of which we had very few). Best I've ever encountered.

GROUNDS
The week we stayed both sides of the resort were booked full, but you'd never know it because the layout of the resort is so spacious and quiet. The "jungle" walkways (or the faster outer sidewalks) give the illusion of a private resort, and provided some fantastic views of wildlife, ranging from flamingos to monkeys to peacocks to iguanas. Gorgeous. And so, so clean - spotless, even. Every morning the groundskeepers were out trimming, cleaning, raking, etc. to keep the walkways pristine.

POOL/BEACH
The pool is (miraculously, considering the number of people present) clean and free of debris like leaves, bugs, etc, and is massive enough to (again) make you feel like you're in a private pool. There's a hot tub in the middle (though it was never really "hot"), a fountain for splashing, and varying depths for strong to moderate swimmers. The kiddie pool is separate, though there's a much shallower, more separate section of the larger pool for families to swim together, though it didn't infringe on any adult swimmers looking for some quiet and splashing-free waters. The beach was PRISTINE and full of beach chairs, though if you want a thatched palapa to chill under, you'll have to get up at sunrise to reserve one. However, even if you miss a palapa, you can rent (free) an umbrella to relax under with no problems. The sands were soft and sparkling, the water was clear and turquoise, and the groundskeepers kept garbage/debris to a minimum. GORGEOUS. Just amazing.

FOOD/DRINKS
The breakfast buffets were always fantastic and provided a wide variety of choices, like cereal/oatmeal, bacon/eggs, bakery/pastries, and, for those seeking a more "authentic" experience, Mexican-styled choices like baked tortillas with beans, cheese, and tomatoes, etc. I never ate in the dining room buffets for lunch b/c we always grabbed food at the poolside dining area, which served a smaller selection, but was always great with a lot of turnover. They grilled burgers outside (delicious!) and had choices like baked chicken, ceviche, paella, pizza, etc. inside (with a bar, of course!). Depending on the number of nights you stay, you're guaranteed a certain number of dinners at their "a la carte" restaurants (of which there are 5), but if they're not booked, you can reserve more nights. I recommend this over eating at the buffet, simply for the sake of changing it up. Of the restaurants (I've eaten at all but the "Tropical") I strongly preferred the steakhouse (which was excellent) and the Japanese hibachi. If you're looking for Mexican, skip their restaurant and go into Playa del Carmen for dinner once or twice (well worth it). The dinner buffets weren't terrible, but didn't vary much from what they served at lunch, though a couple of nights they served made-to-order tacos (roast pork, marinated pork, and chorizo) which were EXCELLENT. Like, surprisingly good.

Mixed drinks by the pool use well liquor, but the lobby bars & the stage bar have top-shelf selections, plus lots of wine, champagne, etc. The cappuccinos in the lobby were an excellent way to start the day.

ROOMS
Clean, spacious, and comfortable. We had a king-sized bed in a jungle-facing room with a mini bar stocked with beers, soft drinks, water, and tequila. Every morning we saw a group of monkeys (6 or so, including a couple babies!) eating in the trees outside our 2nd floor room. No complaints whatsoever, other than the pillows being a little to firm for my liking.

Sunjet Holidays  

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
IBEROSTAR HOTELS & RESORTS UNOFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD | IBEROSTAR REVIEWS & PHOTOS  |  IBEROSTAR QUETZAL & TUCAN - RIVIERA MAYA, MEXICO  |  (LEAVE OR READ) A REVIEW OF IBEROSTAR QUETZAL OR TUCAN (Moderator: MikeOKC)  |  Topic: fantastic staff, gorgeous grounds, & beautiful beach « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Google

Web www.Ib-Board.com