Home Help Photos Login Register

MEXICO AND CARIBBEAN

IBEROSTAR HOTELS AND RESORTS

UNOFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD

IBEROSTAR HOTELS & RESORTS UNOFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD | IBEROSTAR REVIEWS & PHOTOS  |  IBEROSTAR QUETZAL & TUCAN - RIVIERA MAYA, MEXICO  |  (LEAVE OR READ) A REVIEW OF IBEROSTAR QUETZAL OR TUCAN (Moderator: MikeOKC)  |  Topic: Great vacation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Great vacation  (Read 1216 times)
George
Best Prices on Iberostar Vacation Packages!
Administrator
IBEROSTAR-EXPERT

BeatYourOffer.com - 866-389-8572

« on: March 23, 2012, 07:39:15 AM »

BP - Borrowed post from another board

We just returned from IB Tucan March 8th and although the weather was not as nice as we would have liked it to be we still had a great time. I will try to summarize as best I can.

Check-In & Check-Out: We arrived 2 hours before the stated check-in time, but was greeted by a friendly staff member and immediately given our room. We had an early transfer out and was told the day before that we could check out that evening and then drop the room key and towel card off the next morning. Again seemlessly we were proceeded and ready to leave. Just remember if you are going to pay for room charges with US currency you must have your passport with you.

The room: If you are looking for luxury go somewhere else. However, if you want a clean and comfortable room in a beautiful location Tucan will suit you fine. I had emailed in advance asking for a room in building 12 - 15 and we were given room 1226. The buildings are 3 stories with no elevator so if you have an issue with stairs you may want to request ground floor. We were on the 2nd floor and loved it! The 1200 building is at the end of the jungle area and directly accross from the pool. We found this to be an exceptional area for us as we were within a very short walk to everything and yet far enough away from the theater so as not to be bothered by the music if we choose to retire early. The room provided a nice shower, amble room for hanging clothes, a lovely patio for early morning coffee and afternoon breaks, and a safe for our passports, valuables, etc... Many said the bed was hard but we found it to be comfortable. I will say for the ladies, the bathroom lighting is not bright and a lighted makeup mirror would have been nice to have packed had I known this prior. You might want to try to bring one with you.

The beach and grounds: FANTASTIC! We enjoyed the grounds very much. The walk through the jungle brought something new to our attention each time we went through it. The path is uneven however, so if you have walking issues or have a child stroller the outside walks would be the better choice for you. Staff was endlessly working to keep everything trimmed, picked up, swept up, and perfect our entire trip and yet they seemed to never be intrussive upon us at anytime. The beach is wide with soft white sand and a wonderful shoreline - water shoes are not necessary as there are no rocks at entry. We had heard about sea weed being and issue and yes there is some each morning; however, the staff is out early racking it up and therefore it was of no issue to us. We did see one topless individual on the beach and found that to be in poor taste as there are many children there. I really do not believe this person was even staying at Tucan, but rather just walking - nonetheless everyone else was mindful to the fact this is a family type resort.

Monkey Business: I loved watching them of a morning. We did find, however, while we were there that they were not in the center jungle area but rather along the Tucan/Riu fence. Look for them between building 12 and 15 just as other reviewers had indicated but on the outside parimeter and not in the middle. Also, the peacocks seem to stay in this general area also.

The staff: Friendly, helpful, and fun! We did not encounter one individual that was anything less than friendly. We encountered one bartender who had poor english but most of the others are very fluenant in many languages (one I was speaking with is fluenant in 10!). I had a young bartender helping me with some of my spanish and 2 days later when I ran into him again he remembered me and threw a "pop quiz" at me! LOL! I do take a substantial amount of one-dollar bills with me and I do tip - the staff worked very hard to accomadate my needs or desires and I like to show my appreciation to them for their efforts!

The pool: It is very large and nicely divided into activities, kids, and adult areas. We enjoyed the activities with water aerobics and the main pool area for swimming. We found the "hot" tub to be a "cold" tub and did not try it again during our stay. The adult swim up bar was a bit of a disappointment. It was somewhat out of the way, which was okay but it did appear dirty (we did wear our water shoes here) as some of the other reviewers had stated. There was no music or activities going on which might have made it more enjoyable. It was also closed one day and the second time we went there was only one other couple there. To many people go out early in the AM and reserve the sun loungers with a towel and then are never in them - aggravating, but again it is not Tucans fault and I'm uncertain how they would be able to monitor this.

The animation team: OUTSTANDING!!! If you cannot find something to do with all they offer it is your own fault! They worked tirelessly to make things fun though the beach activities, water activities, and the nightly shows. You saw this young group of people from sunrise to way after dark and they were always friendly and would stop and chat and invite you to their next event. The beach party was a blast and the chefs took me behind the counter and even let me help cook! The nightly shows were very entertaining as well. One thing (although our kids are grown) was how they did not ever forget the kids and did a very nice job of having equal activities and fun for both, adults and children. Hats off to this top notch group of young people!

Food: Sorry, but I'm not the best one to give food tips as I go for the sun and beach - food is a just a necessity to me, but I'll sum up as best I can. The main buffets do have some repetiion but that is to be expected. That being said I always found amble food to eat. We did go to the steak house one night and it was good and a nice break to eat a relaxing meal instead of an on-the-go as we tend to do on our vacations. We also went to the hibatchi resturant one evening. I would have to say it was my favorite as I love this type of cooking and food. The chef's cooking show was entertaining and the food very good. The ice cream on the beach seemed to be a great hit to all young and old.

Bars & Drinks: The bartenders and staff are very attentive and try to get to you as quickly as possible....be kind as sometimes they are trying to serve very large crowds. The beer on tape is Dos Equis which was fantastic for us as we drink that in the states often. The drinks were pretty much whatever you wanted, they seemed to have a good knowledge of most cocktails. If the drink was not strong enough for you - ask for more liquor, they will accomodate!

Overall: Great vactation spot for families and those who do not need the "wilder" side of a beach vacation. Pleanty of activies to participate in if you wanted and enough seclusion from it if you did not. Beautiful and clean grounds. Friendly, fun, and helpful staff. All in all - no complaints worth mentioning! I wish the weather had been nicer, but that has nothing to do with the resort! Overall it was a great stay!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:20:59 PM by George » Sunjet Holidays  

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
IBEROSTAR HOTELS & RESORTS UNOFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD | IBEROSTAR REVIEWS & PHOTOS  |  IBEROSTAR QUETZAL & TUCAN - RIVIERA MAYA, MEXICO  |  (LEAVE OR READ) A REVIEW OF IBEROSTAR QUETZAL OR TUCAN (Moderator: MikeOKC)  |  Topic: Great vacation « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Google

Web www.Ib-Board.com