Home Help Photos Login Register

MEXICO AND CARIBBEAN

IBEROSTAR HOTELS AND RESORTS

UNOFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD

IBEROSTAR HOTELS & RESORTS UNOFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD | IBEROSTAR REVIEWS & PHOTOS  |  IBEROSTAR VARADERO - VARADERO, CUBA  |  (Leave or Read)A Review of Iberostar Varadero  |  Topic: Review of the New Iberostar Varadero 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Review of the New Iberostar Varadero  (Read 5139 times)
polgara

« on: February 07, 2005, 02:14:02 PM »

Hello:  btw I posted similar review on Debbie's Caribbean Resort site

My husband, baby (18 months) and I were at the IV for 3 days (Friday February 4th to Sunday 6th) - we booked directly with the hotel, as most of the packages were for one week or two weeks.  We booked via email and had no problems communicating with the reservations desk (price was $140 CUC per night per person - all inclusive, baby free).   We had friends with us (a couple) who were staying the full week.

The shuttle was about a 45 minute drive to the Iberostar Varadero - it is almost the last hotel on the shuttle drop-off - next to the Sandals resort.  Check-in was relatively quick, though our room was not ready as it was a "special" junior suite.  Our friends' standard room was ready, and it was sparkling clean, with beautiful bathroom, nice balcony and very spacious.   Our suite was amazing - room no. 1745 if you are lucky enough to get it - it is a corner unit with a spectacular view of the ocean - you can hear the soothing sounds of the waves.  There is a well-stocked bar that gets replenished regularly (pop, beer, water, soda water) and our rooms were cleaned twice per day.

There was a wedding at the resort on Friday (of one of the other posters on this forum) so we attended.  The resort had set up a lovely little pavilion in a sheltered part of the beach, along with sound system, wedding cake, champagne etc.  The ceremony (and bride) were beautiful, with the only down-side being the wind blowing sand in the faces of the guest (not the fault of the resort, there was a cold, windy front on the weekend).

Dietcola is available at the pool-side bar and at the front-desk for your rooms.  We are not alcoholic drinkers but there was a nice selection of non-alcoholic drinks at the many bars throughout the resort, and the service was quick and always with a smile.  In fact everywhere the service was quick, prompt and cheerful.  The buffet choices were good - not outstanding but with a decent amount of choice.  The resort bakes bread and pastries fresh every morning, so if you go early enough (around 7 a.m. - we have a baby who wakes up at 6:30 everyday!) they are still warm and delicious.  There were usually several stations where there was a chef cooking fresh items.  We found the buffet at the pool to be as good as the main buffet for lunch or for their "continental" breakfast.  Since we were only there for a short time, did not try the a la carte restaurants, but they looked interesting, especially the Japanese teppanyki style.

There are tennis courts, games & spa area and a jacuzzi in the middle of the main pool.  It was too cool for the pool, though we swam in the ocean on Sunday.  The red flag was out on Friday and Saturday because of a jellyfish invasion.  The sand on the beach is fine and powdery - it is nicer than the sand/beach at the Paradisus which was next door to IV (Paradisus sand was rocky/corally).  All of the beach/lounge chairs at IV have netting or cushion which softens the hard plastic.  None of the other resorts have this little extra.  The beach bar and grill were fine - handy for drinks and mostly bar-b-que hamburgers/hotdogs for lunch.  Though we ate much more than normal and helped ourselves liberally, no-one got sick (and my son ate dirt and sand when he could get his hands on it).

Some others on the boards have complained about the entertainment but we were quite amused - at least with Friday's night entertainment - but we are biased since we were asked to "volunteer for a little part in the show" - we did and it turned out we were pretty much the entertainment - but it was done in fun and the MC made everyone laugh (we were impressed because he did the show in English, French and Spanish).  There are activities throughout the day (water volleyball, aerobics, stretch, yoga, etc) and the animacion team is extremely helpful.  While we were up on stage on Friday, a number of the women took care of my son and he enjoyed their company so much, he wanted to stay and play some more with them!

There is a mini kids area for toddlers - little gym/slide set, hobby horse, plus some playhouses out in the sand. There is a also an covered area, securely fenced in with lots of mini chairs and tables for kids, with activities, games, toys, etc. and Lucy who will watch your kids if you want.  There was a "mini disco" on Saturday which my son thoroughly enjoyed as well.

We took a taxi to the flea market in Varadero (12 - 15 pesos) and it was enjoyable - some of the sellers were making their items at the market, so that was interesting to watch.  There are tour operators and information available near to the reception and individual company reps will generally offer other tours.

On the down-side the vegetation at the resort has not yet matured, but you can see that in a few years it will be beautiful.  The shops are not ready and there is still construction (though not bothersome).  The shows are not fancy, but "homey" and fun, and encourages audience participation - but you will be disappointed if you are looking for a professionally produced piece of theatre.  The "smell" that others have mentioned comes from a stagnant pool of water near the staff entrance to the resort.  We asked the front-desk and eventually that will be drained and land-scaped properly.  We did not notice the smell while in the resort at any time, it was only noticeable when we took a walk outside the resort to look at the Sandals next door.

All in all the resort feels like a 4-4.5 star one (especially if judging by Mexican resorts)....but once it is complete and the flowers are in full bloom, it will probably easily be a 4.5-5 star (with the attendant higher prices). 

Cheers
Sunjet Holidays  
Joleb

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 07:37:22 AM »

Where is the better room location at this resort?
Sunjet Holidays  
mike

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 12:46:04 PM »

Hi,

I want to thank you for your long story about Iberostar Varadero. We're from Holland and want to visit in June. Cause not many people in Holland went there, all the story's are more than welcome!!

Greatings from Holland Smiley
Sunjet Holidays  
furrypenguindeluxe

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 02:12:56 PM »

I dont suppose you have any pictures of the Hotel as the ones which I have seen have been mainly artist impresions.

thanks
Sunjet Holidays  
BobJ

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 05:14:34 PM »

I just got back from Iberostar Varadero.  In my opinion, the building no. 17 (junior suites) is the best location.  The rooms on the second and the third floors have ocean view.  We stayed in room 1726 (second floor) and we could see and hear the sea.  Very pleasant.
Sunjet Holidays  
LMM007

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 08:32:01 PM »

I just got back from Iberostar Varadero. In my opinion, the building no. 17 (junior suites) is the best location. The rooms on the second and the third floors have ocean view. We stayed in room 1726 (second floor) and we could see and hear the sea. Very pleasant.

Hey Bob J, what is the selection of international drinks available? And, is the resort completed yet? Traveling on May 2nd from Canada, Hope its nice, if there is anything not nice about it let me no so I can cancel and book somewheres else. 

Many thanks
Sunjet Holidays  
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
IBEROSTAR HOTELS & RESORTS UNOFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD | IBEROSTAR REVIEWS & PHOTOS  |  IBEROSTAR VARADERO - VARADERO, CUBA  |  (Leave or Read)A Review of Iberostar Varadero  |  Topic: Review of the New Iberostar Varadero « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Google

Web www.Ib-Board.com