Home Help Photos Login Register

MEXICO AND CARIBBEAN

IBEROSTAR HOTELS AND RESORTS

UNOFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD

IBEROSTAR HOTELS & RESORTS UNOFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD | IBEROSTAR REVIEWS & PHOTOS  |  IBEROSTAR ROSE HALL, JAMAICA  |  IBEROSTAR ROSE HALL QUESTIONS/ANSWERS & DISCUSSIONS  |  Topic: Liquor brands at Rose Hall Beach 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Liquor brands at Rose Hall Beach  (Read 4417 times)
wise2u

« on: February 22, 2010, 04:25:56 PM »

I noticed a list of prices for liquors, i assume this is for a bottle.
what are the top shelf liquors included in the all-inclusive price?
We love appleton and figure it should be everywhere, but there are 3 different
kinds, regular appleton (hurts my head), appleton estates VX (good stuff, no headache)
and appleton estates extra reserve (12 year aged) which i noticed on the liquor menu at $14US
So what do they have available for free?....what name brand Vodka, Gin, Bourbon, rum is served?

Don't mean to sound like an alcaholic, but I don't want to drink cheap house brands and have
massive headaches the next day...so brands names are important to me.
any info is appreciated.
Sunjet Holidays  
Mr.Blush

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 02:44:41 AM »

Hey Wise2u.

I'm surprised nobody has responded to you yet. I'll do my best to help.

My wife and I were at the Rose Hall Beach over Christmas this year (2009)

I would suggest that you lower your expectations of what types of alcohol to expect at the Rose Hall Beach. It being the lower end of the 3 resorts, the alcohol is also at the same end.

I like my Johnny Walker Scotch. At the RH Beach they had only JW Red Label on the shelf, along with Teachers Scotch...which I don't drink. Red Label is the low end Scotch Johnny Walker makes. From least expensive on up, it goes from Red Label, to Black Label, Green label, Gold Label, then Blue Label.

I don't know for sure, but I bet you could get Black Label at the Suites next door, and possibly the top top shelf stuff at the Grand. I would think that your Appleton 12 year, would only be available at the Suites, or even the Grand for that matter.

I did see Appleton Estates Rum on the shelf and they had a few different labels of it too. I'm not into Rum that much, so I can't give you details on which each one was. I would think that because it is made in Jamaica, you won't run into what I am about to tell you....

Here is something to keep in mind. I gave you a lot of Johnny Walker info to impress upon you that I really do enjoy my Scotch. I can, with almost complete certainty, tell you that it was NOT Red Label Scotch in the Red Label bottle. They were filling those bottles with something else. Maybe it was Teachers? I made sure to have a shot of my own Red when I got back home to confirm it. The only way I could me more sure, is if I saw them pour something else into that bottle, and I didn't see that happen. Whatever was in that Red Label bottle was far too "Smokey" for any Johnny Walker product. If I had to guess, I'd say they filled that bottle with a single malt Scotch, rather then a blended Scotch which all JW products are.

I'm not suggesting that this is done with all their alcohol, just be aware of it. Just because the bottle may say its “top shelf”, it may be something else inside.

I think this is an isolated incident. My wife and I have been to IB*'s on two other occasions (Same resort both times in Mexico) and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Hope this helps some what.

Canada Flag
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 02:49:45 AM by Mr.Blush » Sunjet Holidays  

IB* Lindo - Sept 2008 - Engaged
IB* Lindo - Sept 2009 - Married
IB* Rose Hall Beach - Dec 2009 - Honeymoon
IB* Bavaro - Oct 2010
IB* Laguna Azul - Dec 2010
scuba
IBEROSTAR HERO

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 06:51:51 AM »

Since single malt Scotch is much more expensive and a lot tastier than blended Scotch that isn't necessarily a bad thing - in my opinion
Sunjet Holidays  
blush

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 10:03:56 AM »

Since single malt Scotch is much more expensive and a lot tastier than blended Scotch that isn't necessarily a bad thing - in my opinion

Scuba, the taste part is debatable, and subject to the taster's opinion.  Blended Scotch represents more of a difference in style than quality. Single malts are just made from malted barley, dried using smoke.  They're also made in small batches in a single distillery. Typically, single malts have a very distinct flavour.  Mr. Blush and I have tasted many (many) different single malts, from the lighter ones to the extremely peaty, smoky ones.  Believe me, I wouldn't turn down Oban, Highland Park, or Cardhu.  And it's kind of fun to sit around and discuss the different "notes" you can taste.  But if I'm just drinking for pleasure?  I'd much rather drink Johnny Walker Black (or Red, or Gold).

Blended Scotch, typically a combo from up to several dozen distilleries, is smoother, and more drinkable but just as complex.  

In terms of cost, premium blends like Johnny Walker or Chivas Regal are up there, sometimes a LOT more than single malts.  Johnny Walker Blue Label is $240 for a 750ml bottle.

Sorry about the threadjack, wise2u.  I get a little excited about scotch.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 02:53:53 PM by blush » Sunjet Holidays  

IB* Bavaro - Oct 2010
El Dorado Royale, Mar 2011
scuba
IBEROSTAR HERO

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 04:18:21 PM »

Like I said: "In my opinion"
Sunjet Holidays  
wise2u

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 07:16:30 PM »

Ok my dad likes scotch and I know about blue I got him a sample pack of 4 small bottles at the duty free once, it included blue and he enjoyed it a lot.
Like you said that's not really the question here, what specifically are the brand name vodka, gin, bourbon, tequilla and rum at the Iberostar beach?....Appleton is made in jamaica and is dirt cheap there so they will have one version or another...regular appleton is in a normal shaped bottle and will hurt your head the next day, appleton estates VX is ina shorter, fatter, squat looking bottle and looks identical to 12 year except for the VX or 12 on a seal on the neck of the bottle.....I noticed a liquor menu posted here and it had 12 year and something i never heard of (appleton Genesis) listed at $14 a bottle....i would assume they are upsells like bottled wine with dinner and not served by the glass at the bars, but I will never know...these boards are not as usefull as I thought...some people claim them to have all the answers for Iberostar related questions but I will be there in May and probably find out in person before i get an answer from these seldomly used boards.....maybe I should just find someone going to rose hall beach on tripadvisor and get them to find out for me.
Unless someone can answer me here?....or give me an e-mail address and name and I will e-mail the hotel and ask
Sunjet Holidays  
Mr.Blush

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 01:01:53 AM »

I made an honest effort to help you out when after 2 weeks nobody offered so much as a peep. The thanks I/we get is a condesending attitude that myself and others can do without.

This seems to be what you're all about though: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147311-i93-k3430247-l24614593-Booze_prices_needed-Montego_Bay_Jamaica.html

Appears as though someone else was trying to help you, and they got the same result.
Sunjet Holidays  

IB* Bavaro - Oct 2010
wise2u

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 08:17:15 PM »

yes you did answer me after 2 weeks and your info would have been helpful if I was a scotch drinker.
That said nothing else in your post comes close to answering my question...besides "I would suggest that you lower your expectations of what types of alcohol to expect at the Rose Hall Beach. It being the lower end of the 3 resorts, the alcohol is also at the same end."  So I take it the Iberostar beach has nothing but well brands and you have to stay at the Grand to get grey goose or any other name brand?
your other comments were also vague and unhelpful  "I did see Appleton Estates Rum on the shelf and they had a few different labels of it too. I'm not into Rum that much, so I can't give you details on which each one was"
"I don't know for sure, but I bet you could get Black Label at the Suites next door, and possibly the top top shelf stuff at the Grand. I would think that your Appleton 12 year, would only be available at the Suites, or even the Grand for that matter. "
so while trying to be helpful the truth is you know nothing, except that the beach serves JW RED
By the way I am not being condecending, my response was terse out of frustration that of the 5 responses to this question, other than a discussion of scotch and your mention of JW red nobody that posts on these forums can tell me what brands to expect at the Iberostar rose hall beach, or a e-mail address to ask the hotel itself...i would hope that a forum devoted to one hotel chain would have people who know the answers to simple questions, but obviously it is full of attitudes and opinions and no useful information.
your cross reference of a tripadvisor topic about pricing shows that you and Easton714 have a lot in common, being flippant, acting insulted, and acting like you head this community by telling me what you and others can do without.
My opinion remains the same, I will find out in person before i get any useful information from this seldom used and uninformative
forum.
Sunjet Holidays  
itsjustmelg

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 06:37:08 AM »

I found this forum very helpful.  If someone needs to know exact brands of ketchup or yogurt that are served at a resort (I will not mention the alcohol) then they are setting their expectations entirely too high.  You are going on vacation.  And by the way, this is a board of people who enjoy Iberostar.  Yes, there seem to be quite a few experts on several resorts, but none of them work for the company nor live there.  How could they possibly have all the answers. 
And I don't think Mr. Blush was trying to be condescending, he was stating a fact that the three resorts have three levels of service with the Grand being at the highest.  Sorry if that's news to you. 
Please go and enjoy your vacation regardless of the alcohol that served.  It's an outstanding property with wonderful staff on an amazing island.   Irie!
Sunjet Holidays  
blush

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 08:32:45 AM »

My opinion remains the same, I will find out in person before i get any useful information from this seldom used and uninformative
forum.

Would you have canceled your trip if you found out they don't carry your favourite brands?  Yes, you will find out what they have when you get there.  And even if someone had a definitive list of what was available when they went, that doesn't mean that things wouldn't or couldn't change before your arrival. 

As itsjustmelg says, nobody here claims to have all the answers.   Part of the fun of travel is encountering new things, surprising stories that turn into folklore after a few tellings, and stretching beyond your comfort zone.  Treat the amazing, friendly staff with a lot of respect and a big smile, and they will accomodate you as best they can. 
Sunjet Holidays  

IB* Bavaro - Oct 2010
El Dorado Royale, Mar 2011
Mr.Blush

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 03:43:15 AM »

Taking the high road.
Sunjet Holidays  

IB* Bavaro - Oct 2010
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
IBEROSTAR HOTELS & RESORTS UNOFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD | IBEROSTAR REVIEWS & PHOTOS  |  IBEROSTAR ROSE HALL, JAMAICA  |  IBEROSTAR ROSE HALL QUESTIONS/ANSWERS & DISCUSSIONS  |  Topic: Liquor brands at Rose Hall Beach « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Google

Web www.Ib-Board.com